Peter White is Professor of Psychological Medicine at Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry. His clinical work is as a psychiatrist to Bart’s hospital, looking after general hospital patients with psychiatric illnesses, as well as patients with chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS/ME) (www.bartscfsme.org). His research interests include the causes and treatments of CFS/ME, particularly establishing the aetiological role of viral infections, such as Epstein-Barr virus, the heterogeneity of the syndrome, and the utility of graded exercise therapy as a treatment. He is currently the lead principal investigator of the MRC-funded PACE trial, which is a multi-centre trial that compares four different rehabilitation approaches for 600 patients with CFS/ME. He recently edited a book on biopsychosocial medicine.
- White PD, Thomas JM, Amess J, Grover SA, Kangro HO, Clare AW. The existence of a fatigue syndrome after glandular fever. Psychological Medicine 1995;25:907-16.
- Fulcher KY & White PD. Randomised controlled trial of graded exercise in patients with the chronic fatigue syndrome. British Medical Journal 1997;314:1647-52.
- White PD, Thomas JM, Amess J, Crawford D, Grover SA, Kangro HO, Clare AW. The incidence, risk and prognosis of acute and chronic fatigue syndromes and psychiatric disorders after glandular fever. British Journal of Psychiatry 1998;173:475-81.
- Fulcher KY & White PD. Strength and physiological response to exercise in patients with the chronic fatigue syndrome. Journal of Neurology Neurosurgery and Psychiatry 2000;69:302-7.
- White PD, Thomas JM, Kangro HO, Bruce-Jones WDA, Amess J, Crawford DH, Grover SA, Clare AW. Predictions and associations of fatigue syndromes and mood disorders that occur after infectious mononucleosis. Lancet 2001;358:1946-54.
- Tench CM, McCarthy J, McCurdie I, White PD, D’Cruz DP. Fatigue in Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: A randomised controlled trial of exercise. Rheumatology 2003;42:1050-54.
- Petersen I, Thomas JM, Hamilton WT, White PD. Risk and predictors of fatigue after infectious mononucleosis in a large primary care cohort. Quarterly Journal of Medicine 2006;99:49-55.
- Vollmer-Conna U, Aslakson E, White PD. An empirical delineation of the heterogeneity of chronic unexplained fatigue. Pharmacogenomics 2006;7(3):355-364.
- Aslakson E, Vollmer-Conna U, White PD. The validity of an empirical delineation of heterogeneity in chronic unexplained fatigue. Pharmacogenomics 2006;7(3):365-373.
- Smith AK, White PD, Aslakson E, Vollmer-Conna U, Rajeevan MS. Polymorphisms in genes regulating HPA axis associated with empirically delineated classes of unexplained chronic fatigue. Pharmacogenomics 2006;7(3):387-394.