Postgraduate Research (PhD)
The Institute is a leading centre in epidemiology and preventive medicine, focusing on research that may make a big impact in reducing disease and disability throughout the world.
We have close links with Barts and The London NHS Trust (currently based at West Smithfield and Whitechapel, but merging also with Newham and Whipps Cross), the East London Foundation NHS Trust and centres in other countries.
The location of the student’s PhD will usually depend on the location of the supervisor, with staff based in all of the medical school campuses (Charterhouse Square, West Smithfield, Whitechapel, Newham), but the majority are at Charterhouse Square. The collegiate style of our main Wolfson Building and its Common Room provides an environment which encourages lively interaction between academics, research and support staff and students.
Our PhD studentships are advertised externally (for example at www.findaphd.com).
Further information on graduate studies can be found at Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry.
Once your research plan has been agreed you will then need to formally apply online.
Together they ensure that all PhD students are appropriately appointed and assigned a supervisor who will supervise them to the highest standards ensuring they receive all necessary training and support. The Committee will also pursue and resolve any problems arising during the course of PhD research.
On a day to day basis the Committee’s responsibilities include:
- Approving all new registrations
- Approving student progression at 9 and 18 months (or 18 and 36 months if part-time), after review by an expert panel
- Ensuring all supervisors are trained, participate in periodic refresher training and are informed of all latest college guidance and policies
- Ensuring research students undertake the required 70 hours (~2 weeks) training per year, and that it is recorded on their personal development plans
- Ensuring all new students participate in both College and Institute induction
- Maintaining all student records on the Student Information System
Download the >guide to PhD procedures for the Institute (which is complementary to the College guide).