Stephen Duffy’s research is in the areas of cancer epidemiology, prevention and screening. He worked on the pioneering Swedish Two-County Trial of breast cancer screening on which the UK national Breast Screening Programme was based. He was trial statistician on the UK Breast Screening Frequency Trial, which established that the UK’s three-yearly screening regime was sufficient. He is joint PI on a number of other screening studies, including the Gothenburg breast screening trial, the UK Computer Aided Detection Evaluation Trial for breast screening, the FH01 study of mammography in young women with a family history of breast cancer, and the Intermediate Adenomas Study of colonoscopy frequency in adenoma patients. Current research interests include lung cancer risk prediction and lung cancer screening, screening for and prevention of colorectal cancer, and minimising overtreatment of screen-detected or otherwise early stage cancers.
- Gorlov IP, Meyer P, Liloglou T, Myles J, Boettger MB, Cassidy A, Girard L, Minna JD, Fischer R, Duffy SW, Spitz MR, Haeussinger K, Kammerer S, Hoyal C, Cantor C, Dierkesmann R, Field JK, Amos CI. Siezure 6-like gene (SEZ6L) and risk for lung cancer. Cancer Research 2007; 67: 8406-11.
- Swedish Organised Service Screening Evaluation Group. Reduction in Breast Cancer Mortality from Organised Service Screening with Mammography: 1. Further confirmation with Extended Data. Cancer Epidemiol. Biomarkers Prev 2006;15(1):45-51
- Swedish Organised Service Screening Evaluation Group. Reduction in Breast Cancer Mortality from Organised Service Screening with Mammography: 2. Validation with Alternative Analytic Methods. Cancer Epidemiol. Biomarkers Prev 2006;15(1):52-56
- Duffy SW, Agbaje O, Tabar L, Vitak B, Bjurstam N, Björneld L, Myles JP, Warwick J. Estimates of overdiagnosis from two trials of mammographic screening for breast cancer. Breast Cancer Research 7: 258-265, 2005
- Duffy SW, Gabe, R. What should the detection rates be in breast screening programmes? Br. J. Cancer. 92; 597-600, 2005.
- Purushotham AD, Upponi S, Klevesath MB, Bobrow L, Millar K, Myles JP, Duffy SW. Morbidity after sentinel lymph node biopsy in primary breast cancer: Results from a randomized controlled trial. J Clin Oncol. 23: 4312-4321, 2005.
- Gilbert FJ, Astley SM, McGee MA, Gillan MGC, Boggis CRM, Griffiths PM, Duffy SW. Single reading with computer-aided detection and double reading of screening mammograms in the United Kingdom National Breast Screening Programme. Radiology 2006; 241: 47-53.
- Cuzick J, Warwick J, Pinney E, Warren RML, Duffy SW. Effect of tamoxifen on breast density in women at increased risk of breast cancer. J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 96: 621-628, 2004.
- Tabar L, Chen HHT, Yen MFA, Tot T, Tung TH, Chen LS, Chu YH, Duffy SW, Smith RA. Mammographic tumor features can reliably predict the long-term outcome of women with 1-14 mm invasive breast cancer: suggestions for revision of current therapeutic practice and the TNM classification system. Cancer 101: 1745-1759, 2004.
- Tabar L, Yen MF, Vitak B, Chen HH, Smith RA, Duffy SW. Mammography service screening and mortality among breast cancer cases: results of 20-year follow-up before and after introduction of screening. Lancet 361: 1405-1410, 2003.